Friday, October 10, 2008

farms and dreams

Couple o' years back,i had gone to Sriperumbudur, which is near Chennai. Its a beautiful place. Full of lush green fields, lots of trees-covering both sides of the road, cows and goats grazing lazily in the fields, farmers working on their crops, women balancing the sheaf of paddy and sugarcanes on their head, a lovely cool breeze that makes our heart feel elated.. a beauty!

We had gone there to meet our grandmother's friend. They lived in a huge farmhouse there. It was really amazing to be in that atmosphere, far away from pollution, traffic and noise! We were to stay there for the night. For sometime i sat with my grandma's friend, who was 80+ listening in awe to her amazing fables. She then talked about the farm and also about the silk factory they
owned.

Later i took the oppurtunity to explore the place.I decided to make my first visit to the silk factory. It wasn't exactly a factory, but more of an old house converted factory. Some 10 people were hard at work transforming the silk to sarees. The entire sight gave a shimmering look! I got some royal treatment there. I told them i wanted to try weaving. Soon i was actually weaving the silk threads myself! Feeling very happy i came out to explore the vast fields. I stood for sometime inhaling the beauty of nature and then i was in for some work..! I wanted to have a go at ploughing the field. The farmers said it wasn't a great idea and that i wouldn't have enough energy to lead the cows to plough the fields. But after my success at silk weaving i was adament and the poor farmers fearing the wrath of my host, let me lead one handle of the cows. I courageously stepped into the marshy area to pull the cows. I pulled with all force and they wouldn't budge. I tried 2 more times and the cows had enough of me. They suddenly turned back with a jerk and i lost balance and fell into the muddy waters. I looked a sight when i managed to get out from the mess. It was 10 minutes walk to the farmhouse and people on the way turned twice to see my disastrous visage!

I had a good wash and decided to end my adventures for the day and sat in the cosy hall of the old farm house.I saw TV for sometime and got bored. Everybody had left to visit some more neighbours. I went to the backyard and saw lots of seed packets.I decided to do
some gardening. It was almost dark but my enthusiasm didn't fade. I started to sow the seeds. I was so involved in it that i failed to notice i was nearing some prickly lemon trees. I totally got entangled in it and got scratched all over my face and hands. With great difficulty i managed to escape the clutch of the trees. Sigh! Another disaster.!

The next day was thankfully good. I had a good time building a bird table and feeding the birds, preparing some pongal with the farmers (it was during pongal yah!) and had fun playing with the kids around. when it was time to leave, there was heaviness in my heart.

It was such an amazing experience that everytime i pass a farmhouse, i remember my stay over Sriperumbudur. I hope i get to visit the place soon!

No comments: